Saturday 12 April 2014

...spring calls with flowers and dancers...

And now we enter my favourite time of year... the days start to get longer and warmer; the plants start to grow, blossom forms and birds return from Africa... Insects appear on the wing and the world is full of life... roll on the coming year with all it brings... bring forth life...

Photographically it has been an interesting week... stating with the Feathers School of Dance concert that I was lucky enough to photograph last Sunday... What a great event - young people of all ages really into their music - impressive choreography and all of it somehow organised by someone looking after a new baby...! Some people seem to be able to do anything!!!  The event was fun to shoot although many of the scenes were a challenge due to the lighting... Stage lighting... it can be a photographers' friend but more often than not it can also make life tricky...

This was a two camera shoot - but seeing as one of my bodies started playing up during the shoot the previous Thursday, I was concerned I would have to use one body and limit my shooting options... Fortunately with careful management I managed to use both but only by using the malfunctioning body sparingly... me thinks something needs to be done about this...

A selection of images...







The audience were treated to a Red carpet entrance...












Although I am no expert on dancing, one dancer caught my eye for her pose and grace... and elegance






I'm not sure of her name, but she was a delight to photograph...

There are now a selection of those images - HERE and all are for sale... Images are available electronically as JPEGs with no restrictions on reprints or postings. £8 per image of if more than 5 bought the price drops to £5 per image. Email me for details - alexjpscott@gmail.com

After this shoot, I spent the next couple of days post processing and preparing for my final tutorial. I hope Matt has learnt loads about his camera and what it takes to improve his images... from what I have seen it is the case!!! Looking forward to seeing the shots from Rome!!!
During this tutorial, which was about Macro photography, we happened on some apple blossom...






Always looks good against a blue sky...

...And then whilst in the local Millennium Gardens I took this picture of a ladybird...



I'm pleased with this image... love the colours...

Well, after this we have driven north up to York, via Stratford upon Avon... Now, I grew up not that far from Stratford and have spent many a happy hour there... at the theatre, in the pubs and clubs or just wandering around the riverside.  Interestingly, just after I bought my very first camera I visited the town and shot one of my very first rolls of film there. A Kodak Colour Print film if I remember rightly, probably  100 ISO (ASA as it was then)... Below is a modern version of one of my very first images... This one taken on 10th April 2014... the original (which I no longer have) would have been taken in summer 1982 on a Nikon FG with a standard 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens... This recent one was taken with a Nikon D2Xs with a Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 AFD auto focus lens...


From memory, the shot from 1982 was under exposed... and put in the rejects box!

From Stratford, we visited a friend, who lives in the shadow of Edge Hill. The English Midlands is a delightful landscape - I grew up there and returning after many years away I really appreciate it more...beautiful trees, hedges and rolling hills...

Now Chris has an amazing garden, so even though we were invited for lunch, I couldn't resist capturing some of her gorgeous plants...



Camelia...


Hellebore...



Primrose...



Chaenomeles x superba (I think)



Snake's-head fritillary (Fritillaria meleagris)



Bergenia...

Now, I have been asked for more technical information, especially regarding my plant portraits... So here is what I used for the selection of plants above...

Nikon D2Xs + Tokina 100mm f2,8 AT-X Pro macro lens. All pictures were shot at 250 ISO, hand held and more often than not manually focussed. Exposure was set in Aperture Priority mode with the aperture being changed to give the required depth of field. Framing was all by eye. Post processing was in Lightroom 5.3, usually with the minimum of changes made - contrast, sharpening and brightness. Occasionally I add a vignette - positive or negative depending on the effect I want...

Friday was spent in York, staying with a dear friend... she has a lovely garden...(another one!!) so I had to see what I could see...



Hellebore...



Not sure what this is... so if anyone has an idea...








Well, that is about it for the time being... hope you all have a good week... keep up with my comings and goings HERE or if you don't Facebook, I post regularly HERE...

See you soon...

TTFN





No comments:

Post a Comment