Saturday 19 April 2014

Where are the songs of Spring?

It's been a (ow) painful (ouch) very painful week... it started off painfully and is finishing even more painfully...you see, to the amusement of at least two friends I have the onset of a frozen shoulder - which is giving me sleepless nights and limited mobility... luckily handling a camera is relatively OK...

Photographically I have had a fun week... We (as you may know) have been up north to Yorkshire, visiting friends and family and taking pictures... now when shooting during the previous week my second camera body failed... some sort of battery related fault... now it's tricky to function with only one DSLR if not impossible... fortunately my main sponsor found me a nice used Nikon D2X (very similar to my main Nikon D2Xs) in fact after I had installed the most up to date firmware they are virtually identical... Hope fully I can get the faulty D200 fixed sometime in the future...(thanks Ma...)

What have I been shooting? Well the week started in York, and whilst there we went to a local country house - Benningborough Hall... lovely gardens and plants...(cold wind, picnic in a small garden shelter)...


Garden gate...



Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) - always nice to see...

...and a nice place to take family portraits...



From York, we moved on to Scarborough, where I got to play with my D2X - here's what I found on the cliffs...




Meadow buttercup (Ranunculus acris) - in both monochrome above and colour below...



Daisy (Bellis perennis) - I really like daisies - great little plant...



Dandelion (Taraxicum officinale agg.) another overlooked common species, but one that also looks better and better when actually LOOKED at...



In addition to plants...



a hoverfly - although I don't know which one...I continue to be impressed with the resolving power and quality f my macro lens - the Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X Pro - more expensive lenses may have the edge when it comes to build quality (although the Tokina is very sturdy) but as far as sharpness is concerned... I have never used a sharper lens...or one with better contrast...



Now below is a detail shot of a caterpillar eating its way into a dandelion flower... I was taken by the colours and the structures on the caterpillar's skin...






Wood anemone (Anemone nemerosa) - black and white and colour...one of my favourite spring flowers, especially when seen in great carpets beneath a hazel/oak coppice...



And finally from Scarborough - a couple of landscapes...



The first taken from on top of the cliffs looking south towards Cayton and Cornelian Bays with the promontory of Filey Brigg in the far distance. I like the way the sun plays on the water and the scale of the people on the wave-cut platform...




Finally, a 6-image panorama of the South Bay... This was created in Photoshop CC and looks really good when blown up...(the picture, not the town)...

By the end of the week I was out shooting insurance claim pictures - it pays, (not a lot) but something and if you get a few then it becomes worthwhile... I also sold some of the dance studio pictures - not surprisingly the elegant young lady's family liked the images...coincidently her mother teaches my son... small world...

Now. it's Saturday and I may get out on the fen... see those pictures next week, or if you can't wait... you can keep up with me on a daily basis here or here depending on what you like...

See you all next week...

TTFN





No comments:

Post a Comment