Sunday 20 July 2014

Thunderbolts...

So a week of thunderstorms... some of Biblical proportions like the one I can see right now from my ever darkening office... Summer eh? I suppose that is what we usually expect... never mind, we could always move to Australia if we wanted hot sunshine...

It's been a strange week - seeming I have been busy - what with insurance shoots at the beginning of the week, followed by a client meeting on Wednesday and then a staff portrait shoot on Thursday. I almost completed my dragonfly survey at Wicken Fen on Friday, before getting the car MoT'd on Saturday and then a concert shoot this afternoon. Combine all that with usual household stuff and it's been a hectic few days...


Staff portraits are fun to shoot - you get to meet many different people,  but it does help if they take a good picture...



When I did get out and about to look at nature I did manage to find...



gatekeeper butterfly - love these, although capturing them is tricky... always on the move...




greater willowherb... easily overlooked as it is so common, but beautiful if you look at it...




second generation of peacock butterflies which emerged this week... new ones are such brilliant creatures... and to think they can hibernate...




red admiral - striking colours and large size make them a welcome addition to the garden...




Roesel's bush cricket...desperately trying to escape my lens...the lengt of time I spent trying to get this shot would shock you...




soldier beetles on grass... I was taken with the combination of colours here - bright orange and green...




brown argus butterfly - they used to be uncommon but have recently expanded their range - always worth looking out for... a delight...




bird's-foot trefoil dreamlike against the grass stems... that's how it looked to me as I lay in a meadow chasing grasshoppers...

Whilst carrying out a dragonfly survey on Wicken Fen I was fortunate enough to find some of my favourite plants...



arrowhead...




flowering rush...




gypsywort...




water-mint...

all a delight and all welcome... Whilst out and about on the Fen I also found this chap...



four-banded longhorn beetle - not massively common and striking to say the least...

So that takes us to the concert shoot today - images will be featured in next weeks blog as I haven't edited them as yet... it was however an interesting and enjoyable shoot - the choir sang beautifully and the setting, Tattersalls Auction Rooms (where they sell very, VERY expensive race horses) in Newmarket had some fascinating architecture...

Hopefully this week I can escape the confines of this office and shoot some more natural history images - what I really need is a model... anyone volunteering?

Keep up with my daily antics here... or here... whichever you prefer,,, and I hope to see you all next week...

TTFN








No comments:

Post a Comment