Sunday 7 December 2014

He's making a list...

...and he will be checking it more than once...the festive season is fast approaching and the shops are full of it...trees are being cut down in their millions and shops and streets are festooned with glittery baubles and tinsel...I trust you are all prepared? No? Well me neither...far too much to do...stock images to be submitted to my portfolio here... and also post here on Facebook... or here on Flickr.

My main business this week will concern the shoot I have tonight (Sunday) and on Wednesday. The Sing! Choir group in Ely are having a concert in Ely Cathedral on Wednesday night and I have been booked to shoot the rehearsal and the main gig...In preparation for this I visited the Cathedral to have a look around and plan angles...some nice places to shoot from...











And there were some creative activities going on as well...




It is an impressive tree...

So, with that on my mind we all went to Stratford upon Avon yesterday - Quinn and Lucy went to see The Christmas Truce at the RSC whilst I looked for Stock photos...




































Some I like...some not so...but it was fun wandering around the sunny, frosty streets thronged with shoppers...do we like Christmas? I reckon so...although I'm not too sure why we are moving away from it...and by that I mean this leaning towards Happy Holidays rather than Happy Christmas. Yesterday whilst I was walking around I saw a family out enjoying the winter sun. A little girl was in a push chair and the Father was taking pictures...Mummy was encouraging the child to smile by saying "Say Happy Holidays...go on Happy Holidays!" I mean why not Happy Christmas? They were English..what is wrong with Happy Christmas? I know many Muslims and others of differing beliefs and I know no one who is offended by Happy Christmas just as I am not offended by Hanukkah or Eid or Diwali...is this a case of arrogant Westerners deciding for others what is or isn't offensive or is it mammon raising it's ugly head in the form of business trying to eradicate the religious connections with this festival in an attempt to attract more shoppers to the High Street? In Abu Dhabi the shops just celebrate one after the other...Eid then Diwali then Christmas...they just change the signs...works there, why not here?

So moving on...heard an amusing story the other day - maybe apocryphal but still worth repeating...a verger was showing an American couple round Ely Cathedral and the gentleman turned to the curate and said "So this building was built pre-war?" The verger turned to his client and answered "Sir, this was built pre-America"

Hope you all have a good week; wish me luck for tonight and Wednesday and hopefully the pictures will be on here next week...

TTFN




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Love going to the Ely Cathedral and do take pictures but I have never managed to get any good pictures. Yours are excellent. I am looking forward to seeing the ones you take on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete