Sunday 1 March 2015

Hear that lonesome whip-poor-will...

Yes the last few days of being pre-50 are fast approaching and how does it feel...well I still feel 20...I may look 50 but inside I feel 20 (I guess we all do...) - regardless of age I'm still loving wildlife and photography...even though it is more difficult to lie down to photograph plants (well the getting down isn't difficult, it's the getting up that hurts...and why is the ground so much further away that it was when I was 20?)...

And what has happened? Well even though I am not 50 for another week I have had an early birthday present and have been blessed with some gorgeous weather when up in Scarborough...so the first batch of images...taken n Scarborough last weekend (remember I mentioned them in last weeks blog) - well here are a few...











































Not a bad selection - made by the great light...I was lucky...

In addition I also captured Quinn...




Now this was taken with my new lens...a Nikkor 300mm f4 AFD ED...not a new one but a great lens for this kind of work...and wildlife. It may not be long enough to seriously do birds but is is brilliant for plants and insects...I have used this lens before many years ago and loved the way it records plants...the compressed perspective helps create a feel to a shot that a standard macro lens can't...











All three images above were taken using this lens...and are my favourites of the week so far...seeing as we have got this far we may as well finish this bit off as the gear bit...



And here it is the Nikkor 300mm f4 AFD ED IF - as usual it is an old model but it has a stellar reputation for build quality and image quality. It is heavy to carry being all metal construction but the images speak for themselves, and it is a bargain on the used market...looking forward to using that more and more as the seasons progress...

This week also saw my first invertebrate action of the year...




yes...honey bees were back out and about (albeit in small numbers) and I expect they will be a tad shocked by the sudden cooling of the temperature tonight...but they did make an appearance and welcome to them all...

Friday morning dawned bright and sunny with a touch of frost so I ventured out along the river in Ely...not much going on apart from the first chiffchaff of the year plus the usual suspects singing...I did get a few images...







coot...




dunnock...




great crested grebe...





...and everybody's favourite...a robin...

I have nearly hit my target for Dreamstime... so feel free to visit my portfolio page and have a look at what is available...and I have added loads to Flickr as I always do...again pay the site a visit and have a look...My Facebook page is always being updated with links to the agency plus new pictures...keep visiting - you never know what you may find... Finally...to finish the week I bumped into an old friend in York...which was a delightful surprise...

I hope you all have a good week...roll on the spring...

TTFN






No comments:

Post a Comment