Sunday 12 April 2015

If you go down to the woods...

Well what a delightful couple of weeks I have had up here in North Yorkshire...we always enjoy coming up here and this Easter has been no exception... the weather has been glorious and of course the setting has been as delightful as ever...the house and surrounding countryside are full of photographic possibilities...as we go back down south to the Fens it will be with a sense of loss...but I'm sure we will return soon...

So what do you photograph when you have a lovely garden plus a tract of ancient woodland at your disposal? The answer is everything! BUT that must be tempered with some planning...if I were to wander out with my Nikon and just hope images spring into view then I would have little to show for my efforts...just a daily plan...for example I may decide to shoot mosses one day...or ground flora the next or insects the next...having a plan makes you properly equipped and makes you focus on a target...rather than looking all around trying to shoot this and that, fumbling for a different lens etc...the result of that would be a hotch potch of not particularly good images...

Armed with a plan I did however get some pleasing images...




butterbur...I've been looking for this for a couple of weeks...finally tracked it down on a grass verge near Byland Abbey...it is usually found in damp areas, near streams and such-like...




...it is always nice to stumble on an amphibian...common toad on his way to a near-by pond...





field wood-rush...regularly overlooked but a lovely little plant of grasslands...




flowering current...




marsh marigold - above and below...brightens up many a pond or stream...









speedwell...




garden thistle seed head...

During the stay up here I have developed an interest in photographing mosses...a lovely group...shooting them can lead to many dirty knees and a sore back...but they do make good subjects...









The last one of these three images is my favourite from the week...

Like I said...shooting moss can be tricky; if you remember last week I spoke about tripods...well just a note on that...make sure all the legs are independently adjustable...it does help...



Whilst up here we took Quinn for a couple of walks - over fields, through hedges and what not...of course I took my camera...




Byland Abbey...ruins now but still impressive...




from the top of Sutton Bank - crags and moorland with farmland below...





...remnant glacial lake...





a 5-image panorama - created by stitching the five images together in Photoshop...sometimes a view lends itself to this treatment...




Quinn and Lucy walking away over the fields...




Quinn as a pirate...complete with scar...

Now, as well as moss I have also been enjoying capturing ferns...great variety of shapes and greens...



maidenhair spleenwort...




intermediate polypody...




fern frond...detail





hart's-tongue...






spore cases or sori on the back of intermediate polypody frond




rusty-back...





wall-rue...

All of them a delight...

And so we reach the end of another week - and of course the Easter holidays...weather has been kind and the photographs have started to get better...I've had plenty of images accepted by  Dreamstime and several sold via that agency...Facebook continues to be updated as does Flickr - so ... you know what to do on those sites...pay me a visit and give me a like if you want...always much appreciated... my Facebook page has reached 1800 likes which is awesome...so thanks to you all for that...

As for me...well I'm off to do a family portrait shoot...see you all next week...

TTFN







No comments:

Post a Comment