Sunday 10 May 2015

It's all turned blue...

Well...wasn't that an extraordinary General Election we have just endured here in the UK...I don't think many people  saw that coming although I did think a repeat of 1992 was a possibility - it just goes to show the silent majority cannot be second guessed...(although securing only 36% of the vote isn't really a majority). The week politically has been fascinating - Harold Wilson once said a week is a long time in politics...for Ed Miliband 24 hours must have been a lifetime. For all those who have wildlife and the environment at their hearts, pay attention - this government favours development over environmental protection and may legislate further to allow development of sensitive areas...be aware and act accordingly... We live in interesting times and the vote in Scotland was surely the most interesting result...will we need passports in the future? It shows what a coherent well thought out campaign with clarity of message can do...political parties south of the border can learn much from the SNP.

On a more poignant note this week saw the 45th Anniversary of the Kent State shootings...

Well, enough of that and back to photography...it has been another frustrating week thanks to the weather...it's the same old story a chilly wind with showers makes plant and insect photography tricky...but I have tried...




blister gall on poplar - formed by a gall wasp laying its egg within the cuticle of the leaf. This stimulates the tree to form this growth over the egg. Later it then hatches - common on many native tree and plat species...I was taken by the colour...




creeping buttercup...




my favourite picture of the week - field horsetail with dew...





germander speedwell...




above and below greater celandine...looks nothing like lesser celandine...and is poisonous...








two hoverfly portraits - above - Epistrophe elegans - and below Baccha elongata









greater lettuce just coming into flower...




Spanish bluebell - an invasive species as a garden escape; it cross-pollinates with our native bluebell to create fertile hybrids and in some places is a threat to the native bluebell...




ivy-leaved speedwell





a Nomada wasp although which one I'm not sure...


So, not too bad although I really could have done with shooting more if I could have got out.
So what else has been going on? Well completely serendipitously I met a fellow photographer in Ely and as a result of this we may run some workshops together - keep your eyes out for that - I will put links up when all is sorted...

Naturally I have been updating my Facebook page, my Flickr page and my new Behance portfolio - so keep looking at those for regular updates. And of course I have been submitting to Dreamstime and to Picfair - so if you feel like buying any of my work go to either of those sites...

Whilst sitting in front of the laptop watching the rain through my window I get to edit images from past shoots...I found these from a week or so ago...




beech woodland in spring sunshine...makes me want to walk along that path...




woodland sedge...

That about wraps it up...hopefully I will get out and about this weekend and beyond...have a good week and I shall see you all next week...

Toodle-pip...






No comments:

Post a Comment