Sunday 1 May 2016

It comes and it goes...

...like a cold wind from the east.

Just as we thought that winter had finally waved goodbye and sailed back to the north, the cold returned with a vengeance towards the end of April... frost and snow spread down through the UK and the vernal flowering species and early migrants were subject to a nasty shock...as I write this blog from my parents sitting room in Scarborough it is cold outside. I shall be wandering along the seashore early tomorrow morning hoping I have sufficient clothing...

So, what has the month provided in terms of photo opportunities? Well, the first insects of the year are always a pleasure to see...





Mining bee...




...solitary bee...





...brimstone butterfly...







...cuckoo bumble-bee...






...solitary bee...






...common wasp...







...flower beetle...






...pond skater...





and small tortoiseshell butterfly.

I am enjoying having a garden with pond... all of the above were taken in the garden.  Now, my pond was until the end of last year full of carp; consequently invertebrate life was reduced to a minimum. since they have been removed and I have introduced native aquatic plants many species have started to colonise including to my delight at least two species of damselfly and a species of dragonfly. Larvae have been seen including this darter...



I now need to make sure I find them should they emerge and turn into the flying version...

The month began with milder weather leading to the first flowers appearing...




Pond water-crowfoot...




...garden columbine with dew...










...hyacinth with frozen dew, giving the appearance of glass...






...apple blossom...







...cow parsley...






...cowslip...










...lady's smock...






...fumitory...






...sweet vernal grass...






...green-winged orchid...







...speedwell...





...cherry blossom...






and violet.














And as the oil seed rape came into flower I enjoyed looking at this plant in our landscape... it is so common these days that you can't ignore it, and if viewed from a creative eye it can look pretty stunning...

In addition to this we have had some amazing cloud formations over the fens and the big skies provide great opportunities for landscape images...













And with the storms and wintry feel April comes to an end...and we move into May and hopefully Spring as it should be...keep checking out my Facebook page... or my Flickr page to follow the seasons as they unfold.  Should you wish, you can buy any of my images - price list below



Postage calculated on location as I distribute world wide...if you can't see the image you want just drop me a line... or... if you prefer you can buy my images from Dreamstime the agency I supply...just check out my Portfolio from the link above...

I hope you all join me next month for some more ramblings through nature's wonders...

Peace to you all wherever you maybe...

TTFN




No comments:

Post a Comment